Monday, April 24, 2006

What's Growin' On: 4/24/06



Realization Of The Day:
I may be a tiny bit obsessed about salads. But there are certain times when absolutely nothing else (not even chocolate) will satisfy except some freshly picked baby butter lettuce from the garden. Even if it is 1:30 in the morning. And we're in the middle of a thunder/lightning/wind/hail/rainstorm. And my terrified, thunder-phobic dog is trying desperately to climb into my arms as I crouch down harvesting lettuce in the dark and rain with a 98% dead flashlight. But oh, how that salad hit the spot.

Recipe For A Perfect Spring Salad:
Harvest lettuce as close to mealtime as possible. Wash gently, spin dry. Find the biggest bowl you can, and fill it with your beautiful bounty. Toss in a handful of organic garbanzo beans (chickpeas) and a few cracked green olives. Toss lightly with a vinaigrette made with extra-virgin olive oil, white balsamic vinegar (proportions are entirely up to you), plenty of real dijon mustard, good garlic and onion powder, and salt and pepper (or freshly chopped garlic and shallots if you have the time and energy and really feel like swooning). Top with plenty of coarsely grated pecorino romano cheese. Find a fork and dive in. May be enjoyed anytime, day or night.

Coming Up:
Sublime Salads For Those Who Are Short (On Time, Space, & Sunshine)

2 comments:

  1. My lettuce seeds from last year have proven to be duds. Your salad-related posts are making me so anxious for fresh lettuce. I'll probably have to go out after work and pick up some seeds now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the salad. There are times when I crave something green and crunchy with the tangy flavour of vinegar. Toss in some other fun flavours and textures and I'll just sit over there with the bowl, being happy.

    ReplyDelete

March 2013 update: My apologies for the inconvenience - I know word verification is a pain - but I've had to turn it on to help stop the ridiculous number of anonymous spam comments I've been getting every day. Thanks for your understanding.

Welcome to InMyKitchenGarden.com! Thanks so much for taking the time to write. While I'm not always able to reply to every comment, I receive and enjoy reading them all.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and I especially love to hear about what's going on in your own garden. I know, too, that other readers also delight in reading about your garden successes, failures, helpful tips, and lessons learned. Feel free to leave comments on older posts!

I try my best to answer all questions, but sometimes it takes me a few days to get to them. And sometimes, I'm sorry to say, they fall through the cracks, and for that I sincerely apologize.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope you enjoy your visits to my kitchen garden!