Sunday, April 23, 2006

What's Growin' On: 4/23/06



Realization Of The Day:
This is what you get if you can convince someone who views the entire farm as a mowing challenge not to mow over the large patch of stuff in the yard that definitely isn't grass.

From Garden To Table:
Ate the first two stalks of asparagus last night, but they didn't even make it into the kitchen, let alone to the table. Nope, I munched them down right there in the garden. Ahhhhhh.

Miscellaneous:
--Even a light rain can really make a difference in the garden. Still needing to water every day, though, especially newly transplanted tomatoes and peppers.
--Aconcagua pepper plants are thrilled to be in the ground and are taking off already.
--Have been so in love with the first spring lettuce salads that have been neglecting to eat the gorgeous Swiss chard in the greenhouse. Larger plants have already started to bolt, but there are dozens of tiny volunteer seedlings still coming up. I don't know what I'd do without my year round chard harvest.
--Just saw the first hummingbird of the season--in the greenhouse.
--Yesterday saw the second snake of the season (cannot remember what kind off the top of my head but about two feet long and not poisonous)--fortunately not in the greenhouse. (Smaller snakes more than welcome to take up residence in there.) Haven't started seeing the copperheads yet which is nice.
--Last night saw the second large garden toad of the season (or frog--must really learn more about these wonderful, insect devouring creatures)--unfortunately not anywhere near the greenhouse, but several hundred feet away in a lamb bonding suite in the barn. First one was in the barn, too. Think baby lambs must be catching and playing with them like all little kids do. Click here to see a photo.

1 comment:

  1. So, does this flower have a name? justplainfrank@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

March 2013 update: My apologies for the inconvenience - I know word verification is a pain - but I've had to turn it on to help stop the ridiculous number of anonymous spam comments I've been getting every day. Thanks for your understanding.

Welcome to InMyKitchenGarden.com! Thanks so much for taking the time to write. While I'm not always able to reply to every comment, I receive and enjoy reading them all.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and I especially love to hear about what's going on in your own garden. I know, too, that other readers also delight in reading about your garden successes, failures, helpful tips, and lessons learned. Feel free to leave comments on older posts!

I try my best to answer all questions, but sometimes it takes me a few days to get to them. And sometimes, I'm sorry to say, they fall through the cracks, and for that I sincerely apologize.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope you enjoy your visits to my kitchen garden!